We are experts at assisting owners
and bodies corporate of commercial
or residential property in the
New Zealand market.
The art of property development is creating value out of resources and capital while managing the downside risks. We provide support at all stages of the development to align the conditions of contract, allocate risk, review tender design documents and integrate sub-contractors. Our aim is to effectively manage risk in your development and ensure it is completed on time and on budget.
We believe in the “do it once do it right” philosophy. That is why we offer our set of specialised construction contracts, which have been refined over years of experience. These contracts are tried and tested in the industry. We also recommend our 360-degree risk analysis program which we offer at the outset of projects. This program runs the ruler over your development to ensure the legal and material risks have been appropriately dealt with and planned for and it is clear who is responsible for each risk. This allows you to get on and do what you do best knowing you have a strong set of legal documents to fall back on if anything goes wrong.
We also regularly assist in efficiently resolving disputes in the development and construction phase of your project. In particular, we have vast expertise in advising on delays in completion, costly variation claims and extensions of time, as well as post-construction disputes, including defective work and leaky buildings.
Should a dispute arise during your development, we are experts at resolving your dispute by way of negotiated settlements, court proceedings or alternative dispute resolution. We work with the leading experts in the construction field, including surveyors, fire, acoustic, engineers and programming experts.
We know construction and speak your language. We pride ourselves on our specialist knowledge and our no-nonsense practical advice.
We have provided guidance on some of New Zealand’s largest commercial and residential developments. No project is too large or too small and we also advise on personal residential development projects.
Our clients return to us because of our practical commercial advice, deep knowledge of the construction industry, and our focus on achieving the best possible results.
- 360-degree risk analysis at the outset of your project
- Reviewing and drafting construction contracts
- Reviewing and drafting sub-contracting agreements
- Sale & Purchase agreement disputes
- Liaising and dealing with the Engineer to the contract
- Advising on variations to the contract scope of works
- Resolving construction disputes
- Claims under the parties’ contract (e.g., price, delay claims and extension of time for completion)
- Claims arising from breach of contract (e.g., performance or defective work, non-payment by owners or head contractors)
- Advising on retentions, remedies, & defects liability
- Weathertightness issues
- Claims and issues arising under the Construction Contracts Act (including adjudication)
- Claims and issues arising under relevant building statutes
- Claims in negligence
- Arbitration or court proceedings
Talk to our experts
Scott Russell Managing Director
Scott started his career at Bell Gully, where his first job was working on the longest running construction litigation case in New Zealand...
David van Hout Director
David has almost 15 years’ experience as a litigator and has appeared in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court...
Building Industry Guides
Our knowledge is your power, give us your email address and we’ll give you the power!
KEEP UP TO DATE WITH ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. GET YOUR UPDATES AND NEWS FROM THOSE WHO KNOW!